Resolution of the City Council of the
City of Monroe, Georgia
Purpose of Naming an Open Records Officer, an Alternate
Open Records Officer and for other purposes.
WHEREAS, the provisions of the Georgia Open Records Act, the "Act" (O.C.G.A. Section 50-18-70, et seq.), were ammended by action of the Georgia Legislature during the 2012 session; and
WHEREAS, one of the changes to the Act allows for the appointment of an Open Records Officer to whom all requests for records must be made; and
WHEREAS, a further change of the Act to provide that a municipal corporation may require all request made under the Act to be made in writing; and
WHEREAS, the Act further provides for notice of such changes;
NOW THEREFORE, pursuant to teh provisions of the Act, the City Counicl of the City of Monroe, Georgia, the governing body of the City of Monroe, does hereby resolve as follows:
(1) The City Administrator is designated as the Open Records Officer and the City Clerk is designated as the Alternate Open Records Officer to act in the absence of the City Administrator both to act for the City of Monroe, Georgia and all of its related and subsidiary entities as defined in the Act;
(2) All requests for open records made under the Act directed to the City of Monroe shall be made in writing to the Open Records Officer, or in his absence, tot eh Alternate Open Records Officer;l
(3) The Open Records Officer is directed to cause all City of Monroe websites to prominently display this designation and requirement;
(4) The Open Records Officer is directed to notify the Walton Tribune as the county legal organ and any other media regularly covering the City of Monroe matters of the content of this resolution;
(5) The Open Records Officer is directed to notify City of Monroe employees and volunteers that any requests made under the Act shall be directed to the Open Records Officer or in his absence, the Alternate Records Officer; and
(6) This action shall be effective immediately upon the notifications to the media and the changes to the websites having been made.
BE IT RESOLVED THIS 8th DAY OF JANUARY, 2013.
Greg Thompson - Mayor
Renee Prather - City Clerk